UAE-NIH Collaborative Awards 2023
Friday, December 16 2022
Wednesday, August 31 2022
In 2020, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), launched an effort to focus on strengthening scientific collaboration between the United States and the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey (MENAT) scientific community. To accomplish this goal, NIAID is coordinating targeted scientific interactions between MENAT and U.S. scientists.
As a component of NIAID-supported MENAT activities, CRDF Global is accepting proposals from joint United Arab Emirates (UAE) and U.S. based investigators working in the field of infectious disease and immunology research for the initiative: UAE-NIH Collaborative Awards 2023. This initiative is jointly funded by CRDF Global, utilizing funds provided by NIAID, and Al Jalila Foundation, utilizing funds provided by Al Jalila Foundation, UAE University, Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences (MBRU), and Khalifa University (KU).
The purpose of the UAE-NIH collaborative awards is to foster new or expanded infectious disease and immunology focused biomedical research collaborations between researchers in the United States and UAE. It is expected that proposals will focus on questions of direct relevance to the MENAT region that will add to global knowledge about infectious diseases and/or immunology. The awards will also promote collaborations that include early-stage and female investigators from around the region.
Investigators from the UAE and United States are invited to jointly apply for funding for collaborative research projects focused on the areas of research listed below and other related topics. Basic and clinical immunology and endemic and emerging infectious diseases relevant to the MENAT region are eligible for this competition.
The primary goals and objectives of the initiative are to:
- Foster new or expanded infectious disease and immunology focused biomedical research collaborations among UAE researchers and with U.S. investigators.
- Provide start-up or supplemental funding to facilitate the early development or expansion of collaborative research programs and the collection of key preliminary data that could be used to prepare more substantive grant proposals.
- Encourage inclusion of early-stage and female investigators through collaborations with mid-career and senior investigators in the areas of infectious diseases and immunology.
Up to six awards, each up to $175,000 USD total cost per year for up to three years, will be made, with the possibility of up to two years additional no-cost extension, if justified.
- Each proposal must include two PIs from two different UAE institutions (one of whom will be the corresponding PI) and one PI from the United States who will all serve together as co-PIs of the collaborative team. Co-PIs will share overall responsibility for the project and coordinating all project participants and institutions. Applications including PI(s) from MBRU, KU, and/or UAE University are strongly encouraged. The institution at which each PI is employed will serve as the individual team’s Principal Institution designated on the proposal. Additional investigators from the wider MENAT region may be included as secondary collaborators at the discretion of the co-PIs.
- Each PI must:
- Possess the degree of Ph.D., M.D., or the equivalent research experience
- Demonstrate scientific capacity and research experience.
- Be employed at an institution that can serve as the Principal Institution on the award.
- Each application must include a PI or key personnel that is an early stage or female investigator. If senior investigators (i.e., non-early-stage) are included as members of the proposed UAE or U.S. sub-teams, at least one senior investigator involved in each project must be identified as a mentor and trainer who will work with the early-stage investigator(s) involved in each project.
Abstract Submission Deadline
CRDF Global must receive a joint email from the collaborating PIs which states their intent to submit a proposal to the UAE-NIH Collaborative Awards Competition 2023. This information must be sent via email to email@example.com no later than:
- Friday, December 2, 2022 (3:59 PM) U.S. Eastern Time (ET)
- Friday, December 2, 2022 (11:59 PM) UAE Gulf Standard Time (GST)
Full Proposal Submission Deadline
The proposal should be submitted electronically, using CRDF Global’s application forms, through CRDF’s grant management system’s website. All proposals must be submitted no later than:
- Friday, December 16, 2022 (3:59 PM) U.S. Eastern Time (ET) or
- Friday, December 16, 2022 (11:59 PM) UAE Gulf Standard Time (GST)
Note: Submission through this website requires previous registration. Upon email submission of your abstract by December 2, 2022, you will be provided a Fluxx account to complete and submit your application.
For any questions, please reach out to CRDF Global program staff: Ariyand Aminpour, firstname.lastname@example.org and Kesina Kum, email@example.com